RTS game about alternative Middle Ages
Holy-Roman Empire and neighboring nations: landsknechts, vikings, knights and Welsh arrows.
Byzantium: as a follower of the greatness of Ancient Rome, which received the crown of the Habsburgs. Her army includes legions, conquistadors and winged hussars.
Russia, based on the traditions of Kievan Rus and Muscovy. Her army presented druzhinniks, nobles and cossacks.
Taste of Power: represented by three parties, each of which is the most different from each other. Variability achieved by the introduction of functional purpose of the forces: each type of troops is good in one situation and weak in another, and each units distinguished in compare with representatives of other factions.
In addition, many forces have a number of abilities, thanks to the proper use of which can turn the tide of battle.
Game encourages players to actively use artillery. And first of all not to besiege cities, and conduct battles in open areas to control strategic points and knock out enemy from the fortified positions.
Also it is widely used engineering, as to strengthen the defense lines, as for crossing through impassable obstacles by the army.
In addition here is significantly extend the functionality of spies, who can understand the uprising at the bases of the enemy, to steal money from the enemy cities, organize sabotage and give bribe for enemy troops.
All of the above describes only a small part of the mechanics, which can give the player a truly new gaming experience. Join us and learn more!
At the start every player is given a city in their ownership and they are choosing in which way it should be developed. Depending on this, the following strategies could be selected:
- expansion: the stake is on the development of the economy and the construction of new cities which could lead to the rapid growth at the cost of insufficient defense capacity;
- aggression: the stake is on the creation of the military infrastructure and building up the troops. If the opponent neglected the defense, this way of development can give a competitive advantage. However, if you fail to cause enough damage to the enemy, such a position could result in the serious setback.
- balanced development: leads to the moderate allocation of resources between developing both economy and military infrastructure. Such an option is ideal for defense and aggression, but doesn’t give you an opportunity to punish the enemy for the rapid development.
There are much more strategic variations taking into account the combinations of various types of military forces and technologies, and each of them determines either the initial advantage or the slowdown, which can be given to the player. Due to this, every game has the atmosphere of the poker game: i.e. what the player needs is to anticipate the movements of the enemy, bluff and take risks.
The economic model Taste of Power makes bases vulnerable to the attacks of the enemy. There is always a possibility to destroy both major buildings and workmen in the settlements. Therefore, the player needs to allocate troops to defend their positions and attack the enemy’s bases. Depending on this, the player can opt for the convenient for them way of playing:
- they could play through defense, gradually constructing cities and accumulating army forces. Choosing such a strategy of the game, it is wise to use engineering, protective structures and recruit slow, but powerful types of troops;
- or they could focus on the aggression, which is realized by virtue of conducting constant attacks on the enemy’s base in order to limit their development. The key to the successful aggression is the stake on the artillery and mobile types of troops.
Due to the combination of the given components, the mechanics of the chess game is created – the player needs to anticipate the steps of the enemy and plan the succession of their actions.